Last Updated: September 29, 2016
collection of information
We limit our collection of personal information to information relevant to the purposes described in the "use of information" section below.
information you provide to us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when
you use our websites, shop in our stores, call us on the phone, create an online account, sign up
to receive our emails, request a catalog, participate in a sweepstakes, contest, promotion or
survey, communicate with us via third-party social media sites, request customer support, apply
for a job or otherwise communicate with us. Providing your personal information to us is
voluntary, however, if you do not provide some or all of the information we request, we may not
be able to provide you with certain products, services or information.
The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, zip or postal code, billing address, shipping address, phone number, payment card information, product preferences, demographic information and any other information you choose to provide.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you purchase a gift card for someone and request that we deliver it electronically, create and share a "wish list" or decide to purchase and ship products to someone. We will use this information to fulfill your requests and will not send marketing communications to your contacts unless they separately opt in to receive communications from us.
information we collect automatically
We automatically collect certain information about you when you access or use our websites or transact business with us, including:
- Log Information: We collect information about your use of our websites, such as the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the referring link through which you accessed our websites.
- Transaction Information: When you purchase or return a product, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details and the date and location of the purchase/return.
information we collect from our partners and other sources
We may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that with
information we collect about you. For example, we collect information from local postal
services' change-of-address databases to verify and update mailing addresses.
use of information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Facilitate and improve your in-store and online shopping experience;
- Provide the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage these communications, please see Your Choices;
- Manage your online account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Personalize your online experience and provide advertisements, content or features that match your profile and interests;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- Process and deliver contest, promotion and sweepstakes entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We do not use personal information for purposes incompatible with the purposes for which it
was collected unless those purposes are subsequently authorized by you.
sharing of information
We may share information about you as follows:
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With our business partners and other third parties for purposes of sending their own direct mail, with your consent;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any
applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable
law, rule or regulation, including to meet public safety, national security or law
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of us or any third party;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We allow Borderfree, our e-commerce partner based in New York, to obtain personal information for the purposes of facilitating ordering and shipping internationally. To find more information about Borderfree's privacy practices, see www.borderfree.com/privacy-policy.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. To find more information about our policies and practices with respect to service providers outside of your country of residence, please contact us.
links to other sites
To enhance your shopping experience, our website may include links to other sites outside our family of brands. Those websites will have their own privacy policies that you may wish to review. We have no responsibility for these linked websites, outside of our family of brands.
cookies and other tracking technologies
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on other websites or platforms.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to remove or reject cookies, but note that doing so does not necessarily affect third-party flash cookies used in connection with our websites. For more information about disabling flash cookies, see www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our websites.
For more information about Internet-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and www.aboutads.info/choices.
We take reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
storage of personal information
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13. We do not sell products for purchase by children and all children's products we sell are for purchase by adults only.
online account information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data is reliable for its intended use, accurate,
complete and current. You may update, correct or delete your online account information at any
time by logging in to your account and navigating to the "My Account" page or by contacting
firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact email@example.com if you wish to deactivate your online account, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
You have the option to join our mailing list and consent to receive marketing or promotional information from us.
You can opt out of receiving promotional communications from us at any time by doing the following:
- To opt out of direct mail (such as catalogs and post cards): Log into your online account and adjust your settings under the "Catalog Preferences" page or contact customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To opt out of promotional emails and text messages: Follow the instructions provided in those communications or contact customer service at email@example.com.
Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may continue to send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
accessing our websites from outside the U.S.
for customers in the EU and Switzerland
J.Crew recognizes that the European Union ("EU") and Switzerland have implemented omnibus
data protection regimes established pursuant to the European Data Protection Directive
(95/46/EC) and the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection, respectively. Among other things,
these laws require "adequate protection" for the transfer of certain individually identifiable data
about individuals in EU member countries and Switzerland to J.Crew's operations in the United
States of America ("U.S."). In connection with J.Crew's processing of personal data it receives
from Switzerland and the EU ("EU Data"), we adhere to the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework
and the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer,
security, data integrity and purpose limitation, access and recourse, enforcement, and liability
designed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Commission (the
"Principles"). For more information about J.Crew's certification and the Principles, please visit
the Department of Commerce's Privacy Shield website.
Please direct any inquiries or complaints regarding our compliance with the Principles to the
point of contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below. If we do not resolve your complaint,
you may submit your complaint free of charge to JAMS (https://www.jamsadr.com/), our
designated Privacy Shield dispute resolution provider. Under certain conditions specified by the
Principles, you may also be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint. J.Crew
is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the FTC. If J.Crew shares EU Data
with a third-party service provider that processes the data solely on our behalf, then we will be
liable for that third party's processing of EU Data in violation of the Principles, unless we can
prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
To unsubscribe from marketing communications, please contact customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
J.Crew Privacy Director
One Ivy Crescent
Lynchburg, VA 24513-1001
Int'l Toll Phone: +1 434 385 5775
Fax: +1 434 385-5750