Rated 5 out of 5 by 5
Rated 5 out of 5 by OLDGOLDBLACK Perfect Casual Shoe
These are my go to shoes on the weekends. If you are looking for a comfortable, long lasting, classic shoe, then these are for you. They can be dressed up a bit but for me I mostly wear casually. Color 8 Shell Cordovan ages beautifully, you will see patina develop over the years adding character to the shoe. Don't be scared off by the leather soles, the double leather soles are extremely comfortable with a very short break in period. A few tips to prolong life:
1. Don't wear everyday. Give the shoes at least a day to rest in between wears
2. Be sure to treat the shoes before going out in the rain for the first time. All it takes is a little bit of conditioner
3. Don't take them to the local shoe shine. The best way to care for these shoes is with a wet cloth, a horsehair brush and a buffing cloth. Minimal product
Take care of your shoes and they will last a long time.
December 22, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by Toby Perfect interview shoe
Bought this shoe 2 years ago at JCREW 5th ave store. Waited a whole year to put this shoe to use when during this past winter I wore this and two ludlow suits to a dozen residency interviews. It is truly a beautifully crafted shoe inside and out. Compliments pouring down like the rain in Seattle. I gifted a pair to my brother since then, and he loves them as much as I do.
I would go down half a size from usual dressing shoe.
October 14, 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by jlim Alden Classic
Just as the Indy Boot is a signature Alden model, so is the Color 8 Cordovan Longwing Blucher. Beautiful shoes that go well with most casual/business casual attire and can last a lifetime with care. You definitely need to break them for overall comfort as they are stiff straight out of the box. If you have never tried on a pair of Alden shoes before, their Barrie and Trubalance lasts both tend to run about a half a size larger than your normal dress shoe size. Regarding Cordovan care, many people/places may advise you to use all these various cream/wax polishes, but the best way I have found to care for shell cordovan is the "Mac Method." Basically, a horsehair brush, slightly damp rag, leather conditioner and occasionally polish. Invest in a good deer bone or inexpensive sleeking bone such as one from Abbeyhorn for additional cordovan care.
October 22, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by mcadamsandwich Alden's classic "Gunboats".
A better business casual shoe may not exist. Crafted from Horween's timeless Color #8 Shell Cordovan, these shoes will last a lifetime if properly taken care of. These can be worn with anything - from suits to basic chinos or jeans.
1. Sizing - These are on the Barrie last, which runs large. Typically you should size down a half size from your Brannock size. IE: Choose a 10D if you measure a 10.5D.
2. Sole - These have the hearty double oak leather soles. They do take some time to properly break in, so wear them around the house ON CARPET for a few hours each day until they feel more comfortable.
3. Care - Take care to keep them dry; even though cordovan leather is incredibly tough, you may notice water spots develop after a Spring shower. These will buff out in time with a horsehair brush and some elbow grease. Invest the three extra Hamiltons for some cedar shoe trees, which will help keep the shoes dry and shaped.
April 23, 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by Shawnc Alden Shell Cordovan - nuff said
Alden quality and jcrew service. Doesn't get any better than that.
April 25, 2014